Through our custom events tracking, you can track many different interactions of your leads on your website such as video views, downloads, PDF's, or how they reach your website and more.
You can use this data to
- Provide your sales rep with an automated list / report of leads who have engaged in a campaign (UTM's) in your CRM
- To score leads who engage with a marketing campaign
- To segment leads, who engage with a campaign or come from a source (with tags)
- To trigger alerts when a lead visits, coming from a specific campaign / source
There are 2 ways to track referral source and attribution:
(1) Using UTM codes to track attribution and source of traffic
You should use UTM codes consistently in links that you use in your marketing acticities, to understand the effectiveness of each marketing activity and understand how your leads come to your website; whether it's links you use in newsletters, online ads, blog posts or more - your referral source.
You can then use our automation solution to tag, segment, or trigger actions based on the UTM codes in your links. You just need to do a "URL" based rule, and add the "UTM code" as a criteria. For example:
Not sure what UTM codes are?
(2) You can use "custom events" to track sources of traffic
You can also track where leads are coming from to your website, even if you don't use UTM codes. For example, when they come through Google, Quora, or LinkedIn. (For general information on custom tracking, please refer to our guide "How to track custom events" for more details).
In the case of Google Tag Manager (GTM), you need to follow these 3 steps:
(A) Activate the "Referrer" variable, to use in your GTM tag later
(B) Set up a trigger "new website session", which gets fired when someone arrives newly on your website
(C) Send us a "CUSTOM HTML" tag, each time the "new website session" gets fired
>>> Ask firstname.lastname@example.org to get your CUSTOM HTML script!